Home > India > News > PTI
Discuss | Email | Print | Get latest news on your desktop
Major temple mishaps in recent times
September 30, 2008 13:13 IST
Following are the major temple accidents that occurred across the country in the past five years:
- August 27, 2003: 39 pilgrims killed, 125 injured when devotees who were waiting to bathe surged over a flimsy fence triggering a stampede at the Kumbh festival in Nasik, Maharashtra.
- January 25, 2005: 340 devotees trampled to death during an annual pilgrimage at Mandhra Devi temple in Maharashtra.
- March 7, 2006: 28 killed, 101 injured in two bombings across Varanasi. First blast at a Varanasi temple followed by another at Varanasi Cantonment Railway Station crowded with pilgrims.
- August 3, 2008: 162 dead, 47 injured in a stampede triggered by rumours of a rockslide at Naina Devi Temple in Himachal Pradesh [Images].
- August 10, 2008: Two pilgrims died, 250 were left stranded after stairs leading to ancient Mahadeva temple in Kota district of north-western Rajasthan collapsed.
Email | Print | Get latest news on your desktop
|© Copyright 2008 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.|