|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Discuss | Email | Print | Get latest news on your desktop
Delhi blasts: The Karnataka connection
Vicky Nanjappa | September 21, 2008 21:46 IST
The Karnataka government has issued a red alert, following an alert that militants were planning to transport explosives to the state.
Home Minister Dr V S Acharya said they had got information that militants were planning to transport explosives into Karnataka from Kerala [Images]. He also said the plan was to transport explosives in a train.
Acharya said all railways stations in the state were put on high alert and security beefed up. The minister said he had directed the security forces in the state to remain on high alert and also ordered that there should be no let up.
Acharya said that militants were most likely to transport the explosives in a train. The interrogations into the Delhi [Images] blasts too have revealed that the bombs were made in Karnataka and then transported out of the state in a train.
Meanwhile, the Delhi police have decided to bring one of the accused in the Delhi blasts to Bengaluru [Images] in order to subject him to a narco-analysis test. The home minister, while confirming that the accused Mohammad Saif will be brought to Bengaluru, said that he would be further interrogated in the city.
Apart from this, Saif will also be taken to those places where the bombs were made in Karnataka in order to elicit more information from him.
Riazuddin Nasir, a Students Islamic Movement of India activist who was arrested in Karnataka earlier this year, in his confession had said that following an important SIMI [Images] meeting in Hubli, many cadres had assembled in the city later that day and prepared the bombs.
The bombs were then taken to various parts of the country by the respective cadres. The police believe that these were the same bombs that were used in the execution of Operation BAD (Bengaluru, Ahmedabad [Images] and Delhi).
Email | Print | Get latest news on your desktop