Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Get news updates:
  
Mobile Downloads
Text 67333


Home > India > News > Report

   Discuss   |      Email   |      Print   |   Get latest news on your desktop

Church attacks: K'taka prepares report for Centre

Vicky Nanjappa | September 20, 2008 13:20 IST

Stung by the advisory issued following the attacks on churches in Mangalore, the Karnataka state government has prepared a detailed report to the Union government listing out the measures taken by it to bring the situation under control.

When cowards run the State, the nation bleeds

The government, in its reply, has said that all precautionary measures were taken following the incidents and on no count was the state government of Karnataka found wanting.

'We're against forcible conversions'

The government also mentions as to what took place on September 14 at Mangalore and later lists out the action taken by it. The Home Minister visited all affected areas and ensured that the situation was brought under control, it says.

'We do not blame all Christians'

The reply further states that there was no let up in security and the police force was pressed into action, which in turn cracked down on the miscreants. So far, the police have arrested 292 people in connection with the violence.

 'Ensure reconversions aren't forced'

The government of Karnataka had immediately sensed the danger to law and order and ordered a probe by the Corps of Detectives, the government said, adding that it also heeded to the request of the minority community and ordered a judicial probe.

A one man commission headed, retired High Court judge, Justice B Somashekhara has also been set up to look into the incident.

Attacks were in areas of conversion acitivity: Karnataka CM

Further the government states that the situation is under control and the government was successful in stemming the violence. Further it is also stated that no casualties had been reported during the incident.

The draft was prepared late on Friday night and approved by the law department. The state government is expected to send the reply to the Union government on Saturday.






   Email   |      Print   |   Get latest news on your desktop


Advertisement
Advertisement