Home > India > News > Report
Discuss | Email | Print | Get latest news on your desktop
The young, tech savvy terror suspects
Vicky Nanjappa |
October 07, 2008 10:15 IST
The Mumbai police had on Monday claimed to have busted the media cell of the Indian Mujahideen [Images] and also stated that the persons arrested were involved in a spate of terror strikes in India, including the train bombings and the twin blasts at Hyderabad.
Indian Mujahideen's media cell busted
A close look at the persons arrested by the Mumbai cops gives an indication that most of them were tech savvy and were from respectable backgrounds. Let us take a look at the number of persons arrested so far and also the role each one had to play in the recent spate of bombings.
- Mohammed Mansoor Asgar Peerbhoy: In the absence of both Abdul Subhan and Riaz Bhatkal (according to reports both alleged terror masterminds have fled the country), he is the mastermind available with the Mumbai cops. A tech savvy person, this 31-year-old who is originally a resident of Pune is said to have hacked into WiFi networks and sending out the terror emails following the recent spate of blasts. Peerbhoy was working with a reputed firm and earning a salary of Rs 19 lakh a year.
- Mohammed Ismail Chaudhary: The role of this 28-year-old is being associated with the Surat [Images] blasts. A computer engineer by profession and also a resident of Pune, this man too (like Peerbhoy) helped hack into WiFi networks in order to send out mails.
- Mubin Kadar Shaikh: This 24-year-old computer science graduate from Pune helped in sending out E-mails in the name of Indian Mujahideen.
- Asif Bashir Shaikh: The 22-year-old mechanical engineer from Pune has been held for this alleged role in the Surat case. He is suspected to have helped plant the bombs in Surat, which were finally defused by the cops. He is also said to have arranged vehicles in which bombs were planted.
- Mohammed Ali: This Mangalore-based civil contractor was arrested in Ullal, coastal Karnataka for allegedly sheltering members of the Indian Mujahideen. Apart from this, the 44-year-old is also said to have had knowledge of his son's alleged activities with the Indian Mujahideen.
- Javed Ali: Son of Mohammad Ali, this 19-year-old from Ullal is being branded as a criminal conspirator and an active member of the IM.
- Ahmed Bawa: The 33-year-old man from Mulky in coastal Karnataka is said to have played an active part in the Ahmedabad [Images] and Surat terror plots. Bawa was a low profile person and worked in a farm at Mulky before he was picked up.
- Sadik Shaikh: His role in the Mumbai train bombings and Ahmedabad blasts are being probed. This 33-year-old is alleged to have undergone training in Pakistan and also imparted the same to several youth in India.
- Syed Mohammed Naushad: Cops say this 25-year-old youth from Mangalore is alleged to have played a key role in the Surat case. A resident of Mangalore, he is alleged to have planted some of the bombs in Surat.
- Afzal Mutalib Usmani: This 30-year-old was a prized catch for Mumbai cops. It was based on his information that a large network of the IM was busted. He is the man alleged to have stolen cars and supplied it in order to carry out the Surat blasts. His alleged links with the underworld are also being probed.
- Ansar Shaikh: This 35-year-old, who is a computer engineer by profession, is being probed for the role played by him in the Hyderabad twin blasts case. He is said to be one of the conspirators in the case and also helped in logistics, according to the police.
- Zakir Shaikh: He is being probed for his role in the Surat case. Accroding to cops, this 26-year-old was trained at Pakistan and had played a crucial role in the Surat case, which included providing logistic support.
- Arif Shaikh: He is being probed for his role in the Hyderabad and Ahmedabad cases. The 28-year-old, who is also alleged to have been trained in Pakistan, was an active member of SIMI [Images] and then the Indian Mujahideen since 2005.
- Mohammad Sami [Images]: Arrested in Karnataka, this 21-year-old is said to be close to Abdus Subhan, the original mastermind of the IM. He is being probed for the role played by him in the Bangalore serial blasts.
- Dastagir Phiroz Mujawar: Although there is no evidence of his direct involvement in the any of the blasts, cops say this 26-year-old was actively involved in imparting training to the youth for terror operations.
- Mohammed Atiq Iqbal: The role of this 25-year-old in the Ahmedabad blasts is being probed. He is a suspected IM activist.
- Aniq Shafiq Sayed: This 27-year-old is alleged to have supplied SIM cards to terror suspects. An owner of a mobile store, his role in the Ahmedabad blasts is being probed.
- Mufti Abdul Bashar: The first big fry to be arrested in connection with the Gujarat blasts case. A resident of Uttar Pradesh [Images], he is alleged to have masterminded both the Ahmedabad and Bangalore blasts.
Email | Print | Get latest news on your desktop