|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Discuss | Email | Print | Get latest news on your desktop
Delhi blasts: Suspects remanded to 12-day police custody
October 04, 2008 19:47 IST
Five suspected terrorists allegedly involved in the September 13 serial blasts in New Delhi [Images] were on Saturday remanded to 12 days' police custody by a local court.
Mohammed Saif, Zeeshan, Mohammed Shakeel, Zia-Ur-Rehman and Saquib Nissar were produced before Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Sanjeev Jain who sent them to police custody till October 16.
Saif was arrested immediately after the September 19 encounter in Jamia Nagar in south Delhi while Zeeshan was arrested the same evening from Jhandewalan area in Central Delhi where he had gone to give an interview to a private TV channel.
A day later, Mohammed Shakeel, Zia-Ur-Rehman and Saquib Nissar were arrested from south Delhi and were produced in court in connection with the blast at Gaffar Market in Karol Bagh on September 13.
Saif and Zeeshan have been named as accused for their alleged involvement in the blasts in Greater Kailash-I on the same day.
The September 13 serial blasts which rocked Connaught Place, Gaffar Market in Karol Bagh in Central Delhi and the M Block market in Greater Kailash left 21 people dead and several others injured.
Saif was arrested following an encounter in Jamia Nagar in south Delhi on September 19 while Zeeshan was arrested on the same evening from Jhandewalan area in Central Delhi where he had gone to give an interview to a private TV channel.
The other three accused were arrested on September 20.
Prosecutor Mohan told the court that the police had recovered a lap-top and mobile phones from the accused.
He also claimed that the accused belonged to modules of banned outfit Students Islamic Movement of India and Indian Mujahideen [Images].
"There were constant conversations among the accused. The police arrested five persons from Mumbai, four in Bengaluru [Images] and one in Uttar Pradesh [Images] following a lead from them. They have also revealed the names of six other persons allegedly involved in the blasts," he said.
The counsel for the accused, on the other hand, opposed their remand saying that they had already spent 14 days in police custody. The counsel for one accused claimed that he was not allowed to meet his client during police custody.
Meanwhile, the court also asked the police to avoid unwarranted or undue comments in the media and take every step to ensure fair investigation in the blasts cases.
All the accused have been booked under various provisions of the Indian Penal Code, Explosive Substances Act and Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.
Email | Print | Get latest news on your desktop