Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Get news updates:
zz  


Home > India > News > Report

   Discuss   |      Email   |      Print   |   Get latest news on your desktop

Mumbai attack: Toll rises to 183

November 29, 2008 12:32 IST
Last Updated: November 29, 2008 18:53 IST


Related Articles
'Pakistan is failing because of Islamic terrorism'
'Mumbai attacks a crime against humanity'
How the attack on Mumbai was planned
13 foreigners killed in Mumbai: Home minister
No hostages alive in Taj hotel: NSG
Questions about the terror attack
'We don't leave any enemy alive'
Complete coverage: War on Mumbai
The toll in the worst-ever terror attacks in India mounted to 183 as several bodies were fished out from the Trident hotel and Nariman House after the completion of the 59-hour-long commando operations.

The figure is expected to be much higher, as casualty figure from the Taj Mahal Hotel [Images] is yet to be known. 

Sources in the disaster management cell of Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation said 183 people were killed, including 22 foreigners and 20 police personnel. Besides, 295 others were wounded. 

The injured had been admitted to several hospitals in the city. 

Anti Terrorism [Images] Squad chief Hemant Karkare [Images], Additional Commissioner of Police Ashok Kamte, encounter specialist and Senior Inspector Vijay Salaskar were killed in the exchange of fire at Cama Hospital in south Mumbai on Wednesday night. 

Apart from them, National Security Guards Major Sandeep Unnithan and two commandos died during the operation and a commando injured in the Nariman House battle. 

The police said 10 terrorists were gunned down in the operation and another was injured. A large number of arms and ammunition were recovered from Trident hotel, Taj Mahal hotel and Nariman House.


UNI


   Email   |      Print   |   Get latest news on your desktop


Advertisement
Advertisement