Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Get news updates:
  


Home > India > News > Report

   Email   |      Print   |   Get latest news on your desktop

Death toll in Mumbai terror strike could rise to 200: Centre

November 28, 2008 23:58 IST

Related Articles
Oberoi-Trident Hotel cleared; 30 bodies found
8 foreigners killed, 22 injured in Mumbai terror attacks
2 NSG men killed, six others injured
Zardari calls PM, discusses terror attacks
Scotland Yard team to probe British link in terror attack
Pall of gloom at dead NSG commando's home

The death count in terror strikes in Mumbai could reach 200, Minister of State for Home Sri Prakash Jaiswal said on Friday.

"So far, 123 people have died. But once the bodies are collected, the number of deaths might go up to 200," Jaiswal told PTI.

Jaiswal said the security forces' operation at the Nariman House in South Mumbai would not have taken long but for keeping the number of casualties to the minimum.

"It was an easy operation for the security personnel and they could have completed it in much less time. But our efforts were to ensure that casualties were minimum," he said.

The country is safe and so is Mumbai, he said adding, "There is no danger to the country."
 


© Copyright 2008 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.


   Email   |      Print   |   Get latest news on your desktop

Advertisement
Advertisement