Home > India > News > Report
Email | Print | Get latest news on your desktop
Bush condoles death of US citizens in Mumbai terror attack
Aziz Haniffa in Washington, DC |
November 29, 2008 02:40 IST
United States President George W Bush [Images], who continues to be briefed on the terror attack in Mumbai by Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice [Images] as he spends the Thanksgiving holiday weekend at the presidential retreat in Camp David, has condoled the deaths of two Americans in the attack.
"Laura and I are deeply saddened that at least two Americans were killed and others injured in Wednesday's horrific attacks in Mumbai," said a statement by the President.
"We also mourn the great loss of life suffered by so many people from several other countries and we have the wounded in our thoughts and prayers," he said.
Bush said that his administration "has been working with the Indian government and the international community as Indian authorities work to ensure the safety of those still under threat."
He pledged to "continue to cooperate against these extremists who offer nothing but violence and hopelessness."
Earlier, he had called Prime Minister Manmohan Singh [Images] to condemn the attacks and offer India any assistance it may need.
The two Americans killed have been identified as Alan Scherr, 58, and his 13-year-old daughter, Naomi, who were traveling with a group from Synchronicity Foundation in Virginia.
Meanwhile, a group of investigators from the Federal Bureau of Investigation, intelligence officials and a team of forensic experts are on their way to India to help with the investigation into the terrorist killings.
Sources said that now that Americans had been killed in the attacks, the FBI would deploy its teams to investigate the killings and to ascertain all other facts as part of its investigation.
According to sources, the US had offered to send India some of its Special Forces to help India's commandos resolve the hostage situation in three places � two luxury hotels and a building inhabited by Jews. However, India had declined the offer.
The US is ready to deploy these special forces if India requires any assistance, say sources.