|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Discuss | Email | Print | Get latest news on your desktop
Nagpur cops do a U-turn, no threat to Tendulkar
November 03, 2008 16:44 IST
Last Updated: November 03, 2008 20:46 IST
After creating a scare claiming there was a terror threat to batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar [Images], Nagpur Police on Monday did a complete U-turn saying there is 'no specific threat' to any individual player and there is 'no threat input'.
"There is no specific threat to any individual player and there is no threat input," Additional Director General of Police and Commissioner of Police Praveen Dixit told media person hours after claiming there was a threat to Tendulkar from Pakistan-based terror outfit Jaish-E-Mohammad.
Dixit had earlier spoken about the world's top run getter facing the threat as India and Australia [Images] prepared to reach Nagpur for the fourth and final cricket Test starting at Jamtha, about 16 km from the city, on November six.
Dixit had, earlier in the day, told some news channels and print media that the police had received an advisory from central agencies about a terror threat to Tendulkar.
Later, he maintained security will be as usual and provided to both teams during their stay.
Dixit's claim took central security agencies in Delhi [Images] by surprise with their officials saying they had not received any fresh input about any threat to Tendulkar other than what was received in 2002.
Sources in the agencies said the Nagpur Police was referring to a warning issued by the Central security agencies in 2002 when intelligence inputs suggested that JeM may target Tendulkar along with other VIPs.
Email | Print | Get latest news on your desktop