Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Get news updates:
  
Mobile Downloads
Text 67333
Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this Article


Home > India > News > Report

Jaipur blasts: No arrests so far

Onkar Singh in New Delhi | May 17, 2008 19:22 IST
Last Updated: May 17, 2008 19:43 IST


Related Articles
Serial blasts rock Jaipur

Union Home Minister Shivraj Patil cancelled his press conference with journalists at the Press Club of India as the majority of his officers felt questions on Jaipur bomb blasts would be too hot to handle and as the matter was still under investigations, it would not be proper to face the hostile Delhi media at this juncture.

Ved Marwah, former commissioner of police Delhi and former National Security Gurads chief, felt the Jaipur blasts was not the end of the problem.

"With the election year round the corner this is bound to go up. Our neighbours will to continue to play mischief and is not going to give it up. My gut feeling is that we have to sort out this problem within the country and not with Pakistan. Once we do that, these attacks would disappear automatically," Marwah told rediff.com in an exclusive conversation on Saturday evening.

A S Gill, director general of Rajasthan police, denied that any arrests had been made so far in connection with the bomb blasts.

"All that I can share with you is that the investigations is going on. Laxman Meena, an officer of the IG rank, is heading the special investigation team that has been constituted. No arrest has been made so far and suspects are being questioned," Gill said in brief conversation with rediff.com.

A senior ranking police officer laughed at the news report that appeared in a leading Hindi daily in Rajasthan, which printed a so-called sketch of a woman conspirator who changed her clothes in full view of the perpetrators of the crime.

"It is these kinds of stories that add spice to the whole thing and make interesting reading as far as the readers are concerned. Such stories are nothing but a figment of the imagination," the officer said. The story orginated from Udaipur.

The Rajasthan government, according to sources, has asked a former Information Bureau chief and Ajay Sahani -- who runs an institute on counter terrorism -- to find out ways and means to detect illegal Bangladeshi migrants and deport them from India.

More than 70 people lost their lives and 100 were hospitalised after 8 bomb blasts in the Pink City.







Advertisement
Advertisement