|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Mumbai police chief's comments not appropriate: Deputy CM
January 02, 2008 23:12 IST
Ordering a suo moto action against the people who molested two NRI women during New Year revelry in Mumbai on Monday night, Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister R R Patil on Wednesday termed the comments made by Police Commissioner D N Jadhav 'not appropriate'.
Jadhav had downplayed the incident, claiming that such things (molestations) can happen any where, any time. He also alleged that the media was making a mountain out of a molehill.
Talking to the media about the alleged molestation, Patil said, "This comment was not appropriate." Patil added that the police will take suo moto action against the culprits involved in the molestation.
"If the victims are not coming forward to lodge the complaint, the police will take suo moto action," he said. He assured that the state government will request the Mumbai High Court to transfer the case to a fast track court.
Patil also said that the government has taken the issue seriously and strict instructions had been given to the Commissioner and the Additional Commissioner to ensure that such incidents are not repeated.
When asked if Mumbai has become unsafe for women, he said, "We cannot make such an inference based on an isolated incident. In fact, in many places the police has done a good job."
Patil added that ensuring the safety of women was not only the responsibility of the police but also of the organisers of such events.
Asked why the police were reluctant to take note of complaints filed by people, he said, "The complaint box will put up at public places like at the Additional Commissioners office in Mantralaya, where people can write their grievances."