Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections


The Web

India Abroad

Sign up today!

Get news updates:
Mobile Downloads
Text 67333
Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this Article

Home > India > News > Report

Revealed: Mystery behind the IISc terror attack

Vicky Nanjappa in Bangalore | February 05, 2008 12:40 IST
Last Updated: February 05, 2008 14:16 IST

Related Articles
Bilal could be linked to IISc attack
Security was light at IISc, Bangalore
The cop who warned of an attack
Grenades used in IISc were foreign-made: Police
IISc not an armed fortress: Director

The terrorist attack at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore two years ago is some kind of a mystery. Everyone knew that an unidentified man walked into the campus where a conference was on and opened fire, and in the attack killed a professor.

However, now there is more clarity on the case and one of the suspects arrested for his terror links has explained in detail as to how the attack was carried out.

Mohammed Raziuddin Nasir, who identified the sketch of the IISC attacker, said his name was Abu Hamza. Nasir said he knew Hamza and had met him for the first time in 2007 when he was training at Muzaffarabad. It was there that Hamza told Nasir the entire story of the IISC attack.

Nasir said that the six feet tall Hamza had arrived at Bangalore with three of his associates. As Hamza was the tallest among them, he jumped the campus wall. The rest of them then gained entry into the campus with the arms.

Nasir said the attempt to attack the place had failed due to several reasons. He was nervous and moreover it was dark, and hence he could not use the weapons properly. Also, an AK-47 and a grenade did not work properly and hence they decided to dump it there itself and flee from the place.

With the functioning AK-47 he managed an indiscriminate fire and one person was killed on the campus. Hamza said if the grenade they had planned to hurl had worked properly, then the effects would have been terrible.

After dumping the gun and the grenade, Hamza escaped from the campus by jumping the wall. He then returned to the spot to check out what was going on. He saw that there was chaos around the place. He then left for Hyderabad and then to Varanasi. From there he went to Kashmir to undergo further training, Hamza reportedly told Nasir.