Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections


The Web

India Abroad

Sign up today!

Get news updates:

Home > India > News > Report

   Discuss   |      Email   |      Print   |   Get latest news on your desktop

Several cops involved in engineer's murder, admits UP police

Sharat Pradhan in Lucknow | December 30, 2008 21:13 IST

Related Articles
Engineer's murder: BSP MLA's gunners arrested
UP PWD engineer lynched, FIR against BSP MLA

The Uttar Pradesh [Images] police has finally admitted that some policemen were involved in the murder of PWD engineer Manoj Kumar Gupta in Auraiya.

"Some of the local cops were involved in the murder conspiracy and investigations have also revealed direct involvement of a few in the killing," said State Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) Brij Lal.

Gupta was lynched to death, allegedly by local ruling Bahujan Samaj Party legislator Shekhar Tiwari and his associates, who broke into the engineer's house and tortured him to death.

Tiwari's official gunners, provided to him by the state for his personal security, remained party to the entire criminal act, according to the police.

"We have reason to believe that the two police gunners provided to the MLA for personal security too were involved in the attack on Gupta's residence. While they were put under arrest on Tuesday, they would now be booked not only for criminal conspiracy but also for their direct role in the killing," Brij Lal told reporters.

"Auraiya police inspector Hoshiar Singh, who has already been placed under suspension, is likely to be arrested and booked for his passive role in the criminal conspiracy," said Lal.

"We will award the severest punishment to these men in uniform so that it acts as a deterrent for other shady policemen who indulge in criminal acts or act as abettors of crime," he added.

Singh was reportedly posted at Auraiya at Tiwari's behest, who was then a member of the Samjwadi Party.

Tiwari had dumped Gupta's body in front of the local police station. Police officials had dilly-dallied for two hours before taking Gupta's body to the district hospital, where he was declared 'brought dead'.

   Email   |      Print   |   Get latest news on your desktop