|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Discuss | Email | Print | Get latest news on your desktop
Police finally get some clues on Bengaluru blasts
August 11, 2008 17:19 IST
The Karnataka government on Monday said that the police have some clues on the bomb blasts that rocked the city a fortnight ago.
"The probe is continuing. The police have got some clues. At this stage, it will not be in the public interest to disclose them. So far, 500 people have been questioned in connection with the blasts," said state Home Minister Dr V S Acharya.
The serial blasts on July 25 claimed two lives and triggered off panic among citizens.
Acharya said that the government would soon promulgate an ordinance amending certain provisions of the stringent Karnataka Control of Organised Crimes Act.
A meeting of senior officials of the Law Department and the police force would soon be convened to discuss changes in the Act.
The Act provides for arrest of any suspected person without warrant for a period of more than six months.
He said the government would set up an intelligence wing, recruit dedicated staff and send them for training abroad.
Speaking on the government's ban on dance bars, following a demand by those who want to run such establishments, he said, "Some live bands (dance bars) were operating after securing some orders from courts. If they are found to violate those rules, we will shut them down."
Email | Print | Get latest news on your desktop