|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Goa to hand over Scarlette case to CBI
April 02, 2008 10:19 IST
Last Updated: April 02, 2008 10:38 IST
The Goa [Images] government on Wednesday formally decided to seek a CBI probe into the death of British teenager Scarlette Eden Keeling.
"The state government has given its nod for the transfer of the case to the CBI. All the formalities in this regard will be completed in the next couple of days," a senior police officer told PTI.
Earlier, the state government had expressed its willingness to hand over the case to CBI, but had not taken the final stand on the issue.
Scarlette, a 15-year-old British national, was found dead on Goa's popular Anjuna beach on February 18.
Several human rights and other groups had also voice doubts over the veracity of the murder probe.
The NCW member had also said that Lui Caf, a shack where Scarlette spent her last moments, stood demolished. Police should not have allowed the shack to be demolished as it is important evidence in the case.
After initial reluctance, Chief Minister Digamber Kamat declared his willingness last week, on the floor of the house to hand over the case to CBI.
Also, police had arrested two locals, Barman Samson D'Souza and drug dealer Placido Carvalho, for allegedly drugging and raping Scarlett and leaving her to die on the Anjuna beach.