Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Mobile Downloads
Text 67333
Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this Article


Home > News > Report

Army chief backs Antony on J&K ceasefire

Onkar Singh in New Delhi | September 20, 2007 16:15 IST

Army Chief General J J Singh on Thursday said there was no need for him to elaborate on Defence Minister A K Antony's statement that there will be no unilateral ceasefire in Jammu and Kashmir [Images] during the holy month of Ramzan.

Speaking to rediff.com in New Delhi, General Singh said it will not be prudent for him to say anything more when the Defence minister had already made a statement.

When asked about Lashkar-e-Tayiba chief Hafiz Mohammad Sayeed's statement calling for jihad against India to stop its growing influence, he said: "There is a need to counter terrorism. We must be prepared to meet the challenge from such forces."

Giving his assessment of the situation in Kashmir, General Singh complimented the army for bringing down the level of violence in the state.






Advertisement
Advertisement