Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections


The Web

India Abroad

Sign up today!

Mobile Downloads
Text 67333
Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this Article

Home > News > PTI

Kolkata youngster died after being hit by train: CID

October 10, 2007 22:58 IST

A senior Central Investigation Department official of West Bengal on Wednesday claimed computer graphics teacher Rizwanur Rehman, whose marriage with the daughter of a Hindu industrialist earned the wrath of some senior Kolkata police officials, died as he was hit by a train.

Inspector General (Special) of CID P Neeraj Narayan, who is handling the case, said the possibility of Rizwanur being pushed before a train was remote. Rehman's body was found beside train tracks in Dum Dum in Kolkata on September 21.

"It was daytime and there were many people around then. Moreover, passengers of the train would have noticed," he said. Quoting the post-mortem report, Narayan said Rizwanur had an injury in the back of the head.

"There are many cases where persons dying in train accidents have a single injury mark. The area near Dum Dum where the body was found was an accident-prone zone where 182 persons were run-over and killed by trains at the spot this year while last year there were 220 cases, Narayan said.

The main problem was to determine whether Rizwanur deliberately came in front of a train or it was an accident, he said.

"What is, however, certain is that he died because he was hit by a train," said Narayan. CID sources said the nature of Rizwanur's injuries suggested that he was hit by a train's buffer or some front part which caused his death.

Meanwhile, a lawyer, Himanshu Dey, whom Rizwanur had approached for advice, was interrogated by the CID.

"We have interrogated him and he admitted that Rizwan had appointed him for legal advice to get his wife Priyanka back," said Narayan.

Dey told interrogators that Rizwan had met him on September 20 and was supposed to meet him at 2:00 pm at the Calcutta High Court on September 21, the day he died.

"I got a call from him but as I was in court I couldn't take his call on September 21," Dey claimed.

© Copyright 2007 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.