Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Get news updates:
  
Mobile Downloads
Text 67333
Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this Article


Home > News > Report

Pak emergency will affect peace process: J&K CM

Mukhtar Ahmad in Srinagar | November 05, 2007 20:21 IST

Related Articles
Democracy and autocracy, subcontinent-ishtyle
Rice asks Musharraf to take off uniform
Pak to hold polls for complete transition to democracy: Musharraf
Is this Musharraf's worst crisis yet?

Accepting that the imposition of emergency in Pakistan would temporarily come as a setback to the ongoing peace process between India and Pakistan, Jammu and Kashmir [Images] Chief Minister Ghulam [Images] Nabi Azad on Monday said relocation of security forces in the state was a continuous process but the situation was still far from meriting their withdrawal.

"The internal situation in Pakistan has created a temporary setback to the peace and dialogue process initiated between India and her neighbour," Azad told newsmen in Jammu.

He hoped that the situation there would improve soon so that the dialogue process could be taken forward.

The chief minister said that situation in Pakistan has a direct bearing on Jammu and Kashmir and added that it was "unfortunate that democracy in Pakistan could never take roots."

Asked to comment on the imposition of emergency in Pakistan, Azad replied that it was nothing new for that country, adding, "We want that the situation in Pakistan improves as soon as possible."

About troop withdrawal, Azad said that the situation did not warrant withdrawal of troops from the border or internal security.

He, however, said that relocation and redeployment of troops was a continuous process. Azad said during the Kargil war additional troops were inducted whose relocation has been taking place from time to time.

Azad said human rights situation was also improving and hoped that the current year would go down as the first in the last 18 years during which no custodial disappearance was reported.

He said security forces have been asked to take extraordinary precautions so that no innocent person was inconvenienced while combating militancy.

Azad said that the coalition government in Jammu and Kashmir has fulfilled 90 per cent of the pledges made to the people in the common minimum programme, adding that the remaining 10 per cent would be implemented in the current year.

"The five years of the coalition rule have been historic for the state during which very significant decisions were taken including opening of the Srinagar-Muzaffarabad and Poonch-Rawlakote roads, creation of new districts and implementation of Roshni Scheme" he said.







Advertisement
Advertisement