|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
'93 blasts: 7 get 5 years to life term
Binoy Valsan in Mumbai | May 29, 2007 13:09 IST
Last Updated: May 29, 2007 17:34 IST
The Special Terrorist and Disruptive Activities Act (Prevention) court trying the accused in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts on Tuesday sentenced seven men, including four customs officials and two associates of Mohammed Dossa to rigorous imprisonment ranging from five years to life imprisonment.
The highlight of the day was the conviction of R K Singh, a former assistant collector of Customs who played a key role in facilitating the safe landing of Mohammed Dossa's consignment of explosives and arms at Dighi and Shekadi coast.
He has been awarded nine years rigorous imprisonment and a fine of Rs 3 lakh under TADA.
"It has been proven beyond doubt that R K Singh accepted a huge bribe from Dossa to ensure the safe landing of the consignment at Maharashtra coast. He also misused his official position and even had private meetings with Dossa in connection with the operation. He also had links with Tiger Memon," said Ujjwal Nikam, chief public prosecutor, outside the TADA court at Arthur Road in Mumbai on Tuesday.
Apart from R K Singh, the court on Tuesday sent two Customs superintendents, M S Sayyed and Sudhanwa Sadhashiv Talwadekar to seven and eight years imprisonment respectively.
While Sayyed has been fined Rs 1 lakh, Talwadekar has been slapped with a fine of Rs 2 lakh. The court also sentenced Jayawant Keshav Gurav, a Customs inspector to eight years imprisonment and Rs 1 lakh fine under Section 3 (3) of TADA.
He was serving at Dhariwad when he offered his help to the perpetrators of the Mumbai serial blasts.
The TADA court awarded life imprisonment and a fine of Rs 50,000 to Jamir Sayyed Ismail Khadri whose deep involvement in the conspiracy was proven beyond doubt.
"The court has been convinced of his intentional involvement in the conspiracy and acts of terror and hence, has sentenced him for life under TADA," said Nikam.
Ehsaan Quereshi and Ayub Quereshi, brothers found with a pistol and some catridges in their possession were given a prison term of five years and had a fine of Rs 25,000 under Section 5(5) of TADA imposed on them.
Speaking to reporters outside Arthur Road Jail in Mumbai. Ujjwal Nikam also added that the probation officer was present at the court, but refused to divulge any details regarding his report and conclusion.
"We are hopeful that the rest of the 52 accused will be read out their sentences within a matter of five to six days. The court will deal with the hardcore batch having serious accusations against their names, including Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt in the coming days," said Nikam.
The court has so far tried 42 of the total 100 accused in the 93 serial blasts.