Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections


The Web

India Abroad

Sign up today!

Mobile Downloads
Text 67333
Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this Article

Home > News > Report

Mecca masjid: Cell phone, remote control found

Syed Amin Jafri in Hyderabad | May 20, 2007 16:21 IST

Related Articles
Blast at Mecca Masjid: Coverage

The Hyderabad city police, which is probing Friday's bomb blast at the historic Mecca Masjid, has recovered a cell-phone and a remote control device that could have been used to detonate the bomb that claimed several lives and caused injuries to many others.

While a National Security Guards team from New Delhi had been searching the mosque area for picking up material clues on the blast, one of the workers deployed to clean up the big water pool (used by the people for ablutions before the namaaz) found a cell phone and a remote control device amidst the fish in the pool.

The worker subsequently found some splinter pieces of the improvised explosive device that exploded when the Friday prayers were on at the 400-year-old mosque.

An investigating officer said that the cell-phone and remote control device recovered on Sunday would help police investigations by providing vital clues about the persons/organisations behind the blast.

On the day of the blast, the police had detected two unexploded bombs from the mosque premises placed at a distance of 100 to 200 mt from the spot where the killer bomb had exploded.

One of the unexploded bombs was found in a bag hung on the iron grills on the compound wall of the mosque. The police had recovered a cell-phone attached to the unexploded bomb.

The cell-phone had a prepaid SIM card of a popular service provider. The SIM card was apparently purchased in Kolkata on May 2. The cell phone was also of a popular make.

The cell-phone and remote control device recovered on Sunday were also sent to Andhra Pradesh Forensic Science Laboratories.

Earlier on Friday, the detected unexploded bombs and cell-phone were handed over to the APFSL for detailed examination.

The APSFL is also examining the pieces of the exploded bomb and other materials seized from the mosque.