Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Mobile Downloads
Text 67333
Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this Article


Home > News > PTI

WB govt fears fresh violence in Nandigram

March 20, 2007 17:59 IST

Related Articles
India's great rush for SEZs: Complete Coverage
Nandigram outcry: Will Bengal CM resign?

The West Bengal government apprehends that there could be fresh violence in Nandigram, where 14 people were killed last week, and is redeploying police forces to keep a close watch on the situation there.

"The fear is that there may be fresh trouble and so police camps are being shifted from Sonachura to Bhangaberia and from Adhkaripara to Tekhali and (the forces are being) positioned centrally to meet eventualities in the event of trouble," Home Secretary P R Roy said on Tuesday.

The police forces are not being pulled out from Nandigram and are only being redeployed, and they would be withdrawn from the area later.

After the Calcutta High Court's order for a CBI probe into the police firing in nandigram on March 14, Roy said the state government had ordered an executive inquiry by Burdwan Range Commissioner Balbir Ram into the incident.

The report will be submitted within 45 days.

Documents required for filing an affidavit on the firing, as directed by the High Court, had been given to the advocate general, he said. Roy said the government had been aware of the firing, which was ordered by an additional superintendent of police and an executive magistrate.

 



© Copyright 2007 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.

Advertisement