Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections


The Web

India Abroad

Sign up today!

Mobile Downloads
Text 67333
Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this Article

Home > News > PTI

Gujjars demand Raje's resignation

June 24, 2007 15:51 IST
Last Updated: June 24, 2007 20:02 IST

Related Articles
Coverage: Rajasthan's caste conflict

Holding Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje responsible for the death of 26 people during the recent Gujjar quota stir, the national-level mahapanchayat of the community, held on Sunday, demanded her immediate resignation.

It also called for cases to be registered against those involved in the police firing.

The Gujjars threatened to start their agitation if the state government failed to pass a resolution and recommend ST status as demanded by them within the stipulated period of three months and three days.

"Vasundhara Raje should quit on moral grounds or we will have to speak to the party's central leadership and request them to intervene into the matter," a senior Gujjar leader said about the resolutions passed at the meet.

The mahapanchayat also called for a judicial probe into the police firing during the May 29-June 4 agitation and reiterated their demand for government jobs to the kin of those killed.

"We are also demanding appropriate ex-gratia for families of the deceased and will put forward these views before the Chopra committee looking into our demand for ST status," he said.

Thousands of Gujjars from states like Uttar Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Delhi, Haryana, Uttarakhand, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra and Rajasthan attended the mahapanchayat at the mela ground venue.

Meanwhile addressing the mahapanchayat, Gujjar leader Col Kirori Singh Bainsla said the ultimate aim of the community is getting ST status.

© Copyright 2007 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.