Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Mobile Downloads
Text 67333
Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this Article


Home > News > PTI

One more Indian confirmed dead in Oman cyclone

June 09, 2007 05:16 IST

One more Indian was on Friday confirmed dead in the devastating cyclone that hit Oman, raising the toll of Indians to two, while eight remained missing.

The body of Pokkan Sreenu, hailing from East Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh, has been identified, Minister of State for External Affairs E Ahamed told PTI here tonight.

Sreenu had been missing after the cyclone hit Oman's coastal areas on Wednesday.

Sreenu's exact address could not be ascertained as documents of the company where he was working have been destroyed in the storm, Ahamed said.

Earlier, the death of Prakash of Mysore in Karnataka, was confirmed on Thursday.

Among those still missing, five are from Kerala and two from Punjab and one from Andhra Pradesh.

The missing people have been identified as Sajit Kumar (Calicut, Kerala), Udayan (Guruvayur, Kerala), Sami (Andhra), Mohd Ali (Ernakulam, Kerala), Binu (Ernakulam, Kerala) and Prithvi Pal Singh of Punjab.

The name of another missing person from Punjab is not known yet. Two other Indians, Dharmarajan and Mohammad Abdul Rahim, both of Andhra Pradesh, were injured in the storm.

The Sultanate hosts 3.86 lakh Indians and the government here said it is trying to ascertain their safety.



© Copyright 2007 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.

Advertisement
Advertisement