|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Justice Chopra to head panel on Gujjar ST demand
June 08, 2007 04:04 IST
A formal announcement will be made by Friday, Principal Home Secretary V S Singh told reporters in Jaipur.
The committee would examine the norms laid down for Gujjars in their current status in the OBC category and consider their representation for inclusion in the ST list within three months, Singh said.
Meanwhile, arms licenses of people in 14 districts including Karuali, Dausa, Sawai Madhopur, Bharatpur, Bundi and Kota that witnessed wide-scale violence during the Gujjar stir have been suspended with immediate effect till further notice, Singh said.
"All licensees have been asked to deposit their arms and ammunition to the police," he said, adding this was being done as a precautionary measure. "Attempts would also be made to seize unlicensed arms after conducting raids."
So far 264 cases have been registered based on FIRs against protestors who indulged in violence and arson.
On asked whether any FIR has been registered against Meenas who indulged in clashes with Gujjars in Lalsot of Dausa that claimed four lives, Singh said filing of cases is based on the nature of crime and not on caste lines.
"There is no discrimination against any caste." He also said the government would provide token money to the affected people, adding efforts are being made to restore peace through community liaison groups.