Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections


The Web

India Abroad

Sign up today!

Mobile Downloads
Text 67333
Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this Article

Home > News > Report

Assam: Police foil ULFA I-Day plot

K Anurag in Guwahati | July 25, 2007 14:59 IST

The Assam police have foiled an attempt by the banned United Liberation Front of Assam to plant a programmable timer device fitted with an improvised explosive device at the venue of the forthcoming Independence Day parade ground in Dibrugarh in Upper Assam.

The police recovered the deadly explosive device was recovered by the police around last midnight from a courier of the banned ULFA identified as Bitupan Moran hailing from Hebetgaon in Makum in Upper Assam.

Police intercepted the ULFA courier near the Dibrugarh Fire Service station during a special operation. The arrested person informed the police that the powerful explosive device was being taken for planting in parade ground in Dibrugarh town with an intention to set it for explosion on the Independence Day.

The district administration of Dibrugarh district holds the official celebrations of Independence Day in the parade ground in the town. Police informed that the PTD fitted IED could be set for explosion about six months in advance.

One such device was triggered by the banned ULFA during Republic Day celebrations at Judges' Field in Guwahati on January 26, 2005. The blast went off while state Governor Lt Gen (Retd) Ajai Kumar Singh was inspecting the guard of honour in the presence of dignitaries including the chief minister Tarun Gogoi.

Fortunately, no one was injured in the blast as the device exploded at corner of the parade ground. But it was reason enough for the government to go for a reshuffle in district civil and police administration.

Meanwhile, the army faces public anger over alleged 'excesses' committed by its men in Upper Assam where the protests spilled on to the street. It all started in the wake of some 'army jawans' in plain clothes allegedly misbehaved with two women of Lezai Baruah Gaon village in Dibrugarh district on July 15.

The Army, however, have denied the charge even as the Deputy Commissioner of Dibrugarh district has ordered a magisterial inquiry into the incident based on complaint lodged by two victims. The administration has asked the army to respond to the inquiry.