Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections


The Web

India Abroad

Sign up today!

Mobile Downloads
Text 67333
Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this Article

Home > News > Report

Revealed: What Kafeel did online

Vicky Nanjappa in Bangalore | July 17, 2007 16:59 IST

Related Articles
The Indian angle to UK's terror plot
Haneef was 'in touch' with UK's terror suspects
Kafeel's dream: a Shariat-run housing complex
Sabeel remanded to custody till Aug 13
UK's visa unit was housed in Kafeel's building
Kafeel unlikely to survive: Doctors
Al Qaeda film found in Kafeel's hard disk
Karnataka police hunt for sleeper cells
Kafeel was brainwashed with Gujarat riot tapes
Cops probing Bangalore trio's links
The Bangalore police claims it has cracked the Internet-surfing habits of Dr Kafeel Ahmed, the city native alleged to be involved in the UK terror plot, after piecing together information from his family and data from Internet service providers.

While he lived in Bangalore Kafeel spent 8 to 10 hours surfing the Internet, sources in the police department said, and that he would hardly sleep at night.

Family sources confirmed that he hardly slept at night and spent most of his time on his computer.

The police claim that most of Kafeel's surfing habits involved browsing Web sites pertaining to jihad and bomb technology. They also speculate that excessive browsing of these sites could have brought about a change in his thinking, ultimately pushing him down a perilous path in Glasgow, when he allegedly drove a burning SUV into the airport terminal there on June 30.

Bangalore Police Commissioner Achuth Rao told that the city police awaits the analysis of Kafeel's hard disk which has now been sent to the Central Forensic Science Laboratory, Hyderabad. He said irrespective of developments in Australia and Britain, where Kafeel's cousin Dr Haneef Mohammed and Kafeel's brother Dr Sabeel Ahmed are being prosecuted respectively, the Bangalore police will continue with its investigation into the case.

"We will continue to question friends and family members," Rao added.