|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Main accused in 1993 Mumbai blasts traced to US
January 05, 2007 14:41 IST
Last Updated: January 05, 2007 16:45 IST
The US has informed India that it has traced Feroz Abdul Rashid Khan, wanted by the CBI in connection with the 1993 serial blasts in Mumbai, and sought further evidence from New Delhi to decide whether he should be detained.
A CBI spokesman said here that US authorities had been approached for deporting or extraditing Khan, against whom an Interpol Red Corner Notice is pending.
The CBI has received a communication from the Interpol in Washington about Khan's presence in the US. He has reportedly acquired US citizenship.
After learning about Khan's presence in the US, the CBI asked Interpol to confirm his identity.
The CBI has sent photographs and a dossier on Khan to authorities in the US for identification purposes.
A decision on whether Khan should be detained and sent back to India will be taken on the basis of evidence provided by New Delhi, the spokesman said.
Khan is accused of being one of the key conspirators in the 1993 serial blasts in Mumbai that killed 257 people and injured over 700, besides damaging property worth crores of rupees.
He allegedly played a key role in smuggling arms and explosives into India during January 1993 for the terrorist attacks in Mumbai.
The CBI had got a Red Corner Notice for his arrest issued in 1994.
The TADA Court, after completing the trial of the blasts case, has convicted 100 of the accused and is expected to pronounce their sentences shortly.