|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Govt ready to discuss Quattrocchi issue: PM
February 27, 2007 16:46 IST
Hitting out at the Opposition for stalling proceedings in Parliament over the Quattrocchi issue, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said on Tuesday that the government had done 'nothing wrong' and was ready for a discussion on the matter.
"I solemnly affirm that this government has done nothing wrong," he told reporters in Parliament House when asked about Opposition charges of deliberate delay and concealment by the government of Italian businessman's detention in Argentina for 17 days.
Dismissing Bharatiya Janata Party's allegation that the CBI was pressurised by the government, he said the investigating agency had been allowed to function independently and with 'fullest' autonomy.
"We are ready for discussions on every issue whether the Quattrocchi issue or the price rise," he said adding all these issues should be debated in Parliament.
The government also made it clear that though there was no extradition treaty between India and Argentina, a request could be made for extradition of Quattrocchi under Argentinian law.
The issue rocked both houses of Parliament with the BJP-led opposition demanding Dr Singh's resignation.
In identical statements in both the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha, Minister of State for Personnel Suresh Pachouri said the release on bail of Quattrocchi will have no bearing on proceedings to extradite him.
"We have been informed on February 26, 2007 at 7.43 pm that Quattrocchi has been released on bail from preventive detention by the Federal Court in Argentina, with the condition that he will not leave Argentina. This will have no bearing on the extradition proceedings being initiated by our government," the minister said amid opposition protest.