Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Get news updates:
  
Mobile Downloads
Text 67333
Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this Article


Home > News > PTI

Driver surrendered in hit-and-run case missing

December 21, 2007 21:56 IST

The hit-and-run case allegedly involving the teenaged son of a businessman in Chennai took a new turn as a driver of his company, who surrendered claiming responsibility for the mishap that took three lives, went missing.

 

According to the police, Chandrakanth Sharma, driver of corporate house NEPC, was "not available" at his residence when they went there for investigation. He had been granted bail after his surrender before a civil court on December 15.

 

When the officials investigating the case later visited the company looking for him, NEPC officials told them that the driver had not reported for duty for the past couple of days and "claimed ignorance" of his whereabouts, they said.

 

The son of NEPC chairman surrendered before a juvenile justice court on Wednesday, following which he was granted bail.

 

He "confessed" to the police that he was at the wheels of the luxury car when the accident happened on December 13.

 

Three persons were killed and nine injured in the mishap. At the time of his surrender, Sharma had claimed that he was at the wheels when the mishap took place. Subsequent investigations pointed to the "involvement" of the 16-year-old boy, police said. 




© Copyright 2007 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.

Advertisement
Advertisement