Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections


The Web

India Abroad

Sign up today!

Get news updates:
Mobile Downloads
Text 67333
Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this Article

Home > News > Report

CBI report must speak the truth: Rizwanur's mother

Indrani Roy Mitra in Mumbai | December 14, 2007 14:30 IST

Two days before the Central Bureau of Investigation is to file a report to the Calcutta high court on the Rizwanur Rahman case, the victim's family made a plea for justice to the agency.

"My son was murdered. Please help me and my family get justice," Rizwanur Rahman's mother Kishwar Jehan told over phone on Thursday evening.

Sounding sceptical about the CBI's investigation, she said, "I just pray to Allah that none of my family members is implicated."

Rizwanur, a 30-year-old computer graphics instructor, fell in love with Priyanka Todi, the daughter of an industrialist, Ashok Todi. The two got married in August. When Todi came to know of the marriage, he allegedly threatened Rizwanur with dire consequences if he did not leave his daughter.

On September 21, Rizwanur was found dead under mysterious circumstances.

A national public outcry led to a CBI probe being ordered into the case.

Jehan is now shocked by the statements made by her daughter-in-law Priyanka to a regional daily Anandabazar Patrika. "It's really sad that she is trying to defame my family by mouthing one lie after another. Now that Riz is no more, I would have expected a little more dignity from her. She mentioned that Riz and my elder son Rukbanur did not have a cordial relationship.

"It's strange she knows something which I (as a mother) have no clue about. May I appeal to the CBI to do a polygraph test on her? I want the entire country to know the truth," she said.

Jehan expressed her gratitude to the media for being on their side in bad times. "I am really grateful to the media for bringing to light my son's case. Thanks to them a public opinion was created and the erring police officers were stripped of their positions."

The bereaved mother made a plea to the CBI to take into account the following facts while filing the Rizwanur's case report:

  • Who called Rizwanur around 7.30 am on September 21, the day he died?
  • If he had committed suicide, why did his body bear marks of strangulation?
  • If he was run over by a train, how did his mobile remain intact?
  • When it takes hours for any train accident victim's body to be removed from an accident site, why was Rizwanur's body removed within half-an-hour of the mishap?
  • Those who buried Rizwanur said 'they were sure he had been strangulated'
  • A man named Indranil Ghosh claimed he had seen Rizwanur being kidnapped from a north Kolkata location about half-an-hour before his body was discovered. The CBI grilled Ghosh, but he was later termed mentally unstable. Ghosh is untraceable now, why?
  • Rizwanur always carried his mobile in his trouser pocket but when his body was discovered, the mobile was in his shirt pocket.
  • Rizwanur almost always kept his mobile on vibrator mode but when it was recovered from his body, it was in ring tone mode.

"Please help us get answers to these questions," Jehan asked.