Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Mobile Downloads
Text 67333
Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this Article


Home > News > Report

No arrests till now: Hyderabad police commissioner

Vicky Nanjappa in Hyderabad | August 27, 2007 15:17 IST

Related Articles
Hyderabad: 42 killed, 50 injured in twin blasts

"There is nothing to worry about. The city is safe at the moment," Hyderabad Police Commissioner Balwinder Singh told mediapersons on Monday.

Singh said that reports about bomb threats and suspicious objects being found were false and urged residents of Hyderabad, "please don't panic." He admitted that the Hyderabad police had received seven hoax bomb call till now.

No arrests have been made in connection with Saturday's blasts so far, said Singh. He added that the reports about a person being arrested in Nagpur in connection with the Hyderabad blasts were false.

A special police team has been constituted to investigate the blasts, he said , to look into the broader angles of the case. The police team will investigate whether Saturday's blasts have any connection with the Mecca Masjid blasts on May 18.

The police are also checking if the blasts are connected to the recent fake currency haul in Hyderabad, when fake currency worth Rs 250 crore was recovered by the police.

The police team is also looking into the possibility of terrorist outfits from Bangladesh and Pakistan being involved in the blasts.

Speaking about the sleeper terrorist cells operating in South India, Singh said that though the police had a lot of information about them, "We can't take any action unless they commit an offence."

He added that the Intelligence Bureau was keeping a tab on the activities of these sleeper cells, but most of their members remained inactive.






Advertisement
Advertisement