Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Mobile Downloads
Text 67333
Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this Article


Home > News > PTI

CBI to decide whether to pursue Quattrocchi

August 15, 2007 21:14 IST

Having failed again to get Italian businessman Ottavio Quattrocchi extradited to India to face trial for his alleged involvement in the Bofors kickbacks scam, the Central Bureau of Investigation plans to review the case and examine whether it could still be pursued.

CBI Director Vijay Shankar put up a brave face on Wednesday after Quattrocchi left Argentina for Italy [Images] following India's failure to appeal against a court's decision not to extradite him, and claimed the matter was under investigation and that the businessman was still an accused.

Sources in the agency, however, said the issue would be reviewed completely and the government apprised after this exercise.

The government would also be asked whether it wanted the CBI to still pursue the 17-year-old case, they said.

The sources said since this was the second time that India had been unable to bring Quattrocchi to the country to face trial, there was an urgent need to review the matter and to ascertain whether Interpol's red corner notice against him was still valid.

India had earlier failed to get Quattrocchi extradited from Malaysia.

The case also needs to be reviewed in view of successive judgments by the Delhi high court that quashed charges against the Hinduja brothers in the Bofors scam, the sources said.



© Copyright 2007 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.

Advertisement
Advertisement