|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Interpol notice against July 11 accused
April 16, 2007 18:00 IST
"We had made a request to issue the notice after ascertaining his role during investigations. It seems they have issued the notice now," Anti-Terrorism Squad chief K P Raghuvanshi told PTI in Mumbai on Monday.
Interpol's website has a picture of the 33-year old Dawrey and lists counterfeiting and terrorism as the list of offences registered against him. Raghuvanshi said Rizwan's role had come to light after the ATS recovered foreign currency to the tune of Rs 3.5 lakh during searches from the residence of blasts mastermind Faisal Shaikh.
"He is suspected to be based in Saudi Arabia and sent funds which were used by the local SIMI cadre, which executed the blasts," Raghuvanshi said.
During investigations, the ATS had said that Dawrey, said to be the 'fund manager' of the Lashkar-e-Tayiba, diverted funds that he received from the outfit's chief Azam Cheema based in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir via Saudi Arabia to India.
Seven near-simultaneous explosions on board different suburban local trains during the evening peak hours on July 11 last year had left 187 dead and hundreds injured.
The police have since arrested 13 persons and said that the blasts were carried out by the LeT with help from the members of the banned SIMI. It has also named many Pakistani nationals as wanted accused in a chargesheet filed in a local court.