|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Govt won't be silent on acts of terror: TN CM
April 10, 2007 14:40 IST
Asserting that his government will not remain silent on any acts of terrorism or extremism in Tamil Nadu, Chief Minister M Karunanidhi on Tuesday said it was open to expanding the terms of reference of the one-man inquiry commission headed by senior IAS officer M F Farooqi to probe Saturday's jeep explosion at Sendur near Tindivanam in which 14 people were killed.
Responding to deputy leader of the opposition O Panneerselvam, belonging to the All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam, who demanded that the terms of reference should also cover the nature of explosives transported in the ill-fated jeep, he told the state assembly that his government will not hide any facts on the issue.
Cautioning that his government will not remain silent if any one indulged in terrorist or extremist acts in the state, Karunanidhi said the government had been taking stern action against those supporting terrorism, irrespective of the political party they belonged to.
Following pleas from various political parties that the RDO probe into the blast will not suffice, the state government had on Monday appointed Farooqi to probe the incident and asked him to submit a report within a month.
The one-man inquiry commission will go into several aspects, including review of existing rules and orders with regard to issuance of no objection certificate for storage, sale, transporting and usage of explosives, and suggest measures to prevent recurrence of such accidents.