|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Nandigram: 25 out of 27 missing persons traced
April 03, 2007 16:31 IST
Twenty five of the 27 people reported missing since the police firing on March 14 at Nandigram -- which claimed 14 lives -- have been traced, a top official of the West Bengal government said on Tuesday.
Home Secretary P R Roy said that by Monday, the government would file an affidavit to the Calcutta High Court on the tracing of people reported missing.
The government had, on March 26, filed an affidavit in the High Court on the Nandigram incident as directed by it.
Chief Secretary A K Deb said that the government was yet to decide on compensation to the families of the dead and injured in the police firing.
He said that a detailed report on the Nandigram incident had been sent to the state Human Rights Commission as sought by it.
Roy said after a reply was recived from the state Human Rights Commission, the government will think about paying compensation.