|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
5 accused in 7/11 blasts remanded to judicial custody
October 26, 2006 17:24 IST
A Special Court on Thursday remanded five accused in July 11 blasts case to judicial custody.
It also extended the police custody of another accused after the Anti-terrorist Squad said it wanted to take him to Bangalore for a narco-analysis test.
Special Judge of Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act Mrudula Bhatkar transferred five of the total 13 accused, namely Mohd Majid Mohd Shafi, Shaikh Mohd Ali Alam Shaikh, Mohd Sajid Ansari, Abdul Wahid Din Mohd Shaikh and Naveed Hussain Khan, to judicial custody till November 9, from the custody of the ATS.
Special public prosecutor Raja Thakre said the ATS did not require their police custody any longer.
But in the case of Asif Khan Bashir Khan (alias Junaid), on ATS's plea, the judge extended his police custody till November 1.
He also said that in the case of Naveed Hussain, ATS reserves its right to seek his custody in future.
Out of the total 13 accused in the case (three others have been discharged), seven are already in judicial custody.
Sajid Ansari and Abdul Wahid, two of the accused who were transferred to judicial custody alongwith others, told the Judge today that police took their signatures on confessions, but did not allow them to read the statements.
However, Thakre denied that their confessions have been taken.
On Wednesday, the court had directed Sajid to be examined by doctors in government-run J J Hospital after his mother filed a complaint in court, alleging he had been tortured by ATS.
But the report of the doctors was not available on Thursday, so the court will take up this matter on October 30.