Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections


The Web

India Abroad

Sign up today!

Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this article

Home > News > Report

Assam: Army faces torture slur

Anurag Kashyap in Guwahati | October 14, 2006 03:13 IST

The Army on Friday regretted torture of a youth in its custody in the wake of prompt and loud public protest against its action in Dibrugarh district of Assam.

The alleged torture in custody of the youth, Nipul Saikia who was picked by the Army from Kalowloa village under Khowang police station in Dibrugarh district on Monday, led to public outcry in the area.

The torture on the youth came to the light after they handed him over to the police who immediately admitted him to the Assam Medical College Hospital, Dibrugarh, on Thursday. The youth complained of severe rectal pain and bleeding.

Nipul Saikia was picked up by jawans of the 11 Guards on Monday on suspicion of having links with ULFA militants.It was reported that the Army first tried to get him admitted into a private nursing home that chose to turn down the request on seeing the serious condition of the youth. The Army then handed him over to the police.

According to a source in the AMCH, Nipul was diagnosed with "blunt abdominal trauma" and that there was bleeding and pain in his rectal portion. The family members alleged that he was subjected to electric shock on his body including on private parts in the army camp located at Tiloi near Moran.

Even as news of admission of the youth in hospital spread, spontaneous protests public protests were heard in his native village and in Dibrugarh. The protestors blocked the National Highwy No. 37 at Khowang for two hours on Friday thereby snapping communication between Dibrugarh and Tinsukia districts with the rest of the state.

The public protests prompted Major General MC Marwah, GOC 2 Mountain Division  to express his regret over the alleged torture of the youth in Army custody. The Army official told newsmen at Dibrugarh on Friday afternoon that an Army court of inquiry would be constituted to probe into the incident.

He also tendered an apology for the incident and said the army would ensure that Nipul Saikia received the best possible treatment.

"Investigation has shown that the individual has not been treated properly at the post," an Army press release issued at Major General Marwah's press conference at Dibrugarh said.

The 2 Mountain Division GOC also announced that any one found guilty for the incident during the course of enquiry would be dealt with as per the law. Marwah also visited the injured youth in the hospital.

Share your comments


Copyright © 2006 India Limited. All Rights Reserved.