|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Malegaon blasts investigation 'in final stage'
October 08, 2006 19:33 IST
Investigation into the September 8 bomb blasts at Malegaon in Maharashtra was in the final stage and headed in the proper direction, Deputy Chief Minister R R Patil said on Sunday.
Patil, who is also the Maharashtra home minister, declined to share any details of the probe being carried out by the local police with the help of Anti-Terrorist Squad and Central intelligence agencies.
"We will bring the truth behind the Malegaon blasts out soon," he told reporters.
The multiple blasts in the powerloom town killed 31 people and injured more than 200.
Patil said a London police team would arrive shortly in Mumbai to see the details of investigation into the July 11 train blasts, which the ATS has claimed to have cracked. The British capital's transportation system was targeted in terror attacks on July 7 last year.
Lauding the role of the Maharashtra police in maintaining law and order, despite being short of manpower and equipment, Patil said the government was seriously thinking of increasing the salaries of police personnel.