Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this article


Home > News > PTI

'93 blasts convict faints in court

October 05, 2006 15:11 IST

Related Articles
Coverage: 1993 blasts verdict
'93 blasts: 2 prime accused convicted, 1 acquitted

Niyaz Ahmed Shaikh, convicted in the 1993 serial bomb blasts case, fainted on Thursday in the Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention Act) court while giving his statement on quantum of sentence.

Designated Judge P D Kode summoned a doctor to examine him and he was later taken back to the jail.

Earlier in his statement before the court, he said in the 1992 communal riots in Mumbai, his house was badly damaged and he was forced to escape with his seven-year-old sister.

Niyaz told the court that at that point of time he had two options before him - either to go to Pakistan or to go to a kabristan. He decided to choose the former.

He pleaded for leniency, saying he had already been in custody for thirteen-and-a-half years and broke down before fainting.

The court had, on October 3, held Niyaz guilty of conspiracy in the 1993 bomb blasts case. He was also found guilty of obtaining training in Pakistan and attending conspiracy meetings at the residence of co-accused.

Besides, he was held guilty of surveying Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai building, a potential target for the blasts, alongwith prime accused Tiger Memon.



© Copyright 2006 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.
Share your comments

Advertisement






Copyright © 2006 Rediff.com India Limited. All Rights Reserved.