Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Mobile Downloads
Text 67333
Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this article


Home > News > Report

Remove Muslim dwelling near Ayodhya temple: Ashok Singhal

November 07, 2006 15:01 IST

Related Articles
What the Ayodhya attack signifies
Coverage: The Ayodhya Dispute

Vishwa Hindu Parishad president Ashok Singhal on Tuesday demanded the removal of a Muslim-dominated dwelling near the makeshift Ram temple in Ayodhya.

Singhal was reacting to the central government's plea before the Supreme Court to grant more time to find an amicable solution to the controversy of tightening the security around the makeshift Ram temple in Ayodhya in view of the increased apprehension of terrorist attacks. He said removing the dwelling from near the acquired land was more important.

"While the government had acquired areas where Hindus were living near the makeshift temple, the dwelling in question was left untouched. The driver of the jeep who drove the terrorists to the makeshift temple was a resident of the same locality. The person who had cut the barricading to enable terrorists to sneak inside the complex also lived in the same area," he said.

The VHP leader maintained that while enhanced barricading was necessary, it would be better if the security forces deployed to protect the structure maintained a serious vigil.

Additional Solicitor General Gopal Subramanium had told a division bench of the Apex court on Monday that the Centre was talking to the parties concerned for finding an amicable solution so that bullet-proof security would be provided around the sanctum sanctorum, where Lord Rama was believed to have been born.

Counsel for petitioner Mohammad Aslam Bhure, however, opposed the request of the Centre on the grounds that it was simply a ploy to construct a permanent structure of the temple at the disputed site. He said the conduct of the government amounted to contempt of the court in view of its status quo order after the demolition of Babri Masjid in December 1992.

The Apex court, however, allowed the request of the Union Home Ministry, seeking more time and directed the matter to be listed in the month of December.

The application was filed by the Centre in May last year, seeking raising of the wall height around the temple to 8.5 ft in view of the increased threat to the makeshift temple after last year's fidayeen attack.


UNI


Share your comments


 What do you think about the story?




Read what others have to say:


Number of User Comments: 1




Sub: Singhal speaks abt Ram Temple

Let the Muslims build their mosque there, as long as they are also willing to allow Hindus to build a Temple on the grounds of ...


Posted by labrea




Disclaimer

Advertisement






Copyright © 2006 Rediff.com India Limited. All Rights Reserved.