|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Malegaon blasts: ATS arrests second suspect
November 02, 2006 20:18 IST
The Anti Terrorist Squad on Thursday arrested a man on suspicion of involvement in the blasts in Malegaon that killed 31 people last month.
Shabbir Ahmed Masiullah Ansari (36), who is already in the custody of Mumbai police since August 2, was arrested in Malegaon for his alleged complicity in the Malegaon blasts, officials said.
Ansari was produced before a local court, which remanded him to police custody till November 6.
He is the second suspect to be arrested in connection with the blasts on September 8. Noor-ul-Hooda, a Students Islamic Movement of India activist, was arrested on October 30 for allegedly planting explosives that went off in the textile town.
Ansari is a resident of Jaffarnagar locality in Malegaon and operated a battery making unit, ATS officials said.
In 2003, Ansari allegedly went to Pakistan and obtained training in arms and ammunition, they said.
Like Ansari, Hooda was already arrested under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act for his alleged role in a bomb hoax at a shopping complex in Malegaon on September 13.
Ansari was one of two suspects held for the September 8 blasts. The other is Raees Ahmed.
Bombs used in the blasts were assembled in the garage of main conspirator Shabbir in Malegaon, officials said.