|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
No reconsideration for OBC quota, says Lalu
Anand Mohan Sahay in Patna | May 19, 2006 15:32 IST
Railway Minister Lalu Prasad ruled out any chance to reconsider or delay proposal of the United Progressive Alliance government to provide Other Backward Classes quota in elite educational institutions.
"It is a matter of time for formal notification is issued for reservation for OBCs in educational institutions." Lalu, the Rashtriya Janata Dal supremo and a known votary of Mandal politics said here before leaving to attend a railway function in Uttar Pradesh on Friday.
In the backdrop of great hope created among anti-reservation protestors across the country after the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh set up a four-member committee of ministers for evolving a compromise formula, Lalu Prasad said there would be no consideration on the reservation policy for OBCs." An ordinance may bring for OBCs reservation." Lalu said with big smile on his face.
Lalu said committee was not set up to reconsider the proposal at all. Talking to rediff.com Lalu said that there was no if and but for reservation.
He hinted that his party RJD and other allies of UPA government would put pressure on the government to push the reservation for OBCs in educational institution soon.
Lalu said that the anti-reservation protests were sponsored by the same force that was behind the anti-mandal commission protest in 1989-90.The students were being used for vested interests, he said.
Lalu was happy that no political party has so far come openly in support of protesting students and opposed the reservation for OBCs.