Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this article

Home > News > PTI

Varanasi blasts suspects released: Police

March 13, 2006 21:35 IST

Two persons, picked up by the police in connection with the Varanasiblasts, were freed aftereyewitnesses failed to identify them, a senior police official said in Varanasi Monday, ending confusion about their whereabouts.

"The district police released the two suspects on Saturday after interrogation and handed them over to their family members," Senior Superintendent of Police G K Goswami said. The two -- Sadiq Ali and Ansar -- were picked up by police in HardoiFriday after their faces resembledthe sketches prepared by the police on the basis of eyewitnesses' account.

Confusion prevailed about whether the two had been released or not afterUttar Pradesh Home Secretary Alok Sinha and Hardoi police took contrasting positions.

While Sinha, principal secretary (Home) said Sunday in Lucknow that the two suspects had not yet been released, the Kotwali Circle Officer in Hardoi Visarjan Singh Yadav had said that Ali and Ansar had been freed and handed over to their family members.

The witnesses to theblasts in Sankat Mochan temple and Varanasi Cantonment rail station failed to identify Sadiq Ali and Ansar, whose faces resembled the released sketches of the terrorists suspected to be behind the explosions.

Ali and Ansar were paraded a number of times before the two witnesses.



© Copyright 2006 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.
Share your comments

Advertisement






Copyright 2006 Rediff.com India Limited. All Rights Reserved.