|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
PCG threatens to withdraw from peace talks
February 11, 2006 17:36 IST
Taking exception to the Kakopathar police firing that left nine dead, the United Liberation Front of Asom-nominated People's Consultative Group on Saturday threatened to withdraw from the ongoing peace talks with the Centre.
They said that both the Central and Assam governments must immediately halt army operations and violation of human rights in the state.
'The PCG has taken serious exception to the high-handed army and police action killing innocent people, including women and children, who have been protesting against the killing of a villager by the army', PCG leader Mukul Mahanta and spokesman Arup Borbora said in a statement.
'In view of such actions, the PCG cautions the state and central governments to immediately stop army operations in the state. Or else the PCG will be compelled to withdraw itself from the ongoing discussions with the government', it said.
The statement alleged that the incident of firing on civilian processionists at Kakopathar and Makum in Tinsukia district on Friday were 'squarely opposed to the undertaking given by the Centre on February 7 in Delhi to initiate confidence building measures'.
'Such actions have, instead of curbing human rights violation, intensified such violating action by the forces in Assam', it asserted.
The PCG also appealed to the people of Assam not to be provoked.
Mahanta and Borbora said that a fax of their decision had been sent to National Security Advisor M K Narayanan in Delhi.