Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Mobile Downloads
Text 67333
Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this article


Home > News > PTI

Sanjay Dutt's bail extended to Jan 18

December 21, 2006 11:51 IST
Last Updated: December 21, 2006 17:00 IST


Related Articles
The 1993 Mumbai Blasts
The 2006 Mumbai Blasts

Actor Sanjay Dutt, convicted for illegal possession of arms in the 1993 serial blasts case, was on Thursday given time till January 18 to surrender by a court in Mumbai.

Sanjay and seven others convicted in connection with the blasts were granted additional time to surrender by the TADA court of Judge P D Kode since it is currently occupied with hearing arguments regarding the quantum of sentence for others found guilty in the case.

On January 18, the court will hear Sanjay's plea to waive his punishment under the Probation of Offenders Act and arguments on the quantum of sentence for eight accused, including the actor, who have been given time to surrender after being found guilty.

Sanjay was convicted under the Arms Act on November 28 for possessing a 9mm pistol and an AK-56 rifle. He faces a prison term ranging from five to 10 years. Represented by a battery of lawyers including senior counsel V R Manohar and Satish Maneshinde, Sanjay contended that the arguments on the quantum of sentence and the plea under the Probation of Offenders Act should be heard on the same day as they were connected.

Manohar told the court that Sanjay had been earlier granted bail by the Supreme Court and he should be granted time to surrender as the trial was not yet complete. Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam argued that once an accused is held guilty by the court, he has to be taken into custody.

He also said the sentence could not be waived as it had not yet been awarded.

Judge Kode, while granting time to the eight persons to surrender, said this was an important question of law. He added the court was currently busy hearing the arguments on the quantum of sentence for the other convicts.

Clad in a white shirt and denim trousers, Sanjay thanked his lawyers and asked the court for permission to leave the premises. Earlier, Sanjay had sought additional time to surrender as he had to make arrangements for his daughter Trishala's education in the US and complete some films.

Sanjay also pleaded he would invoke Section 4 of the Probation of Offenders Act at the time of making submissions on the quantum of his sentence. Under this provision, he can be released on bond on assurance of good conduct for a period not less than three years.

Seven other convicts whose arguments on the quantum of sentence will be made on January 18 are Rusi Mullah, Zebunisa Kazi, Yusuf Nalwallah, Rubina Bhivandiwala, Keris Adjania, Imtiaz Ghawte and S N Thapa.

All of them had sought more time to surrender mainly on personal and medical grounds. Of the seven, Ghawte and Thapa were asked to be present in court on January 5 as they were absent on Thursday.

One hundred of the 123 accused in the 1993 bomb blasts case have been convicted by the court. The 13 bomb explosions that rocked Mumbai on March 13, 1993 killed 257 people and injured over 700.



© Copyright 2006 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.
Share your comments


 What do you think about the story?




Read what others have to say:


Number of User Comments: 6




Sub: free sanju

why the court is giving punishment, we know that he comited mistake but now he wants to be a good man & he is feeling ...


Posted by ramswroop





Sub: Crazy

Who cares if he has to finish some films. Indian law and police are really weak in executing the act of same rule for anyone. ...


Posted by who knows





Sub: Welcome home!

Good to know that Sanjay baba is going home for the new year !


Posted by Jeevan





Sub: Sanjay Dutt's bail plea extended

What injustice! If it had to be a common man, his plea would not have been accepted and he would have been jailed right away. ...


Posted by Allen





Sub: sanjay is loyale citizen

court decision is always right but he has admited all mistakes. sanjay is famous celebrity. he already spend his 4 year as a prisoner in ...


Posted by srikant




Disclaimer

Advertisement






Copyright © 2006 Rediff.com India Limited. All Rights Reserved.