|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Bhagalpur train tragedy toll mounts to 35
December 03, 2006 16:50 IST
Last Updated: December 03, 2006 21:29 IST
The number of dead in the train disaster in Bhagalpur in Bihar rose to 35 on Sunday with two more persons succumbing to their injuries in hospital, an Eastern Railway release said.
The two persons are Uttam Majumdar and Bhagwan Prasad, the release said, adding that 26 bodies had been identified. The tracks have been cleared of debris and the first train to pass through Bhagalpur after restoration of tracks was the Malda-bound Farakka Express and the second train to cross the incident site was Delhi-bound Brahmaputra Mail at about 9 am on Sunday.
Meanwhile, Commissioner of Railway Safety, Eastern Circle R P Agarwal, asked to hold an inquiry into the mishap, has reached in Bhagalpur, railway sources said, adding that Agrawal would hold the statutory probe into the accident when a 140-year-old overbridge, being dismantled by the Railways, collapsed on the Howrah-Jamalpur Express on Saturday.
The release said some of the injured, requiring specialised orthopaedic treatment, would be shifted to Howrah Railway Orthopaedic Hospital in Kolkata at the cost of the Railways.
A total of 34 persons, including seven women and four children, were killed and 18 others injured when a 150-year-old road overbridge came crashing down on Howrah-Jamalpur Express near the railway station in Bhagalpur, Bhagalpur District Magistrate Bipin Kumar said.