Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this article


Home > News > Report

1993 blasts verdict put off to Sep 12

A correspondent in Mumbai | August 10, 2006 11:24 IST
Last Updated: August 10, 2006 14:07 IST


Terrorists and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act Court judge Pramod Kode, on Thursday, put off the keenly-awaited verdict in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case to September 12.

Judge Kode, who has presided over the case for more than 10 years, had announced recently that he would deliver the verdict on Thursday. Accordingly, all the 94 accused who were out on bail, including actor Sanjay Dutt, and the 29 persons in custody had been summoned to the court, located inside Arthur Road jail premises in central Mumbai on Thursday.

The court will have to consider the testimony of 686 witnesses in over 13,000 pages of evidence tendered by them -- a record of sorts in Indian legal history.

Court proceedings began Thursday morning with designated Judge P D Kode saying he would commence delivery of the judgement, but defence lawyer Farhana Shah objected, saying Abu Salem had moved the High Court challenging the order of the TADA court separating his trial from the other accused.

However, Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam countered the argument, pointing out that since the High Court had not granted any stay on the matter, the court was free to proceed with the delivery of judgement.

The judge then said he would pronounce the final verdict in the case on September 12.

The security in and around the court had been tightened since Wednesday and police had imposed Section 144 CrPC in and around the court premises banning the assembly of five or more persons.

Altogether 198 accused were roped in the case by the Central Bureau of Investigation in 1993 soon after the blasts. Of these, 29 were discharged due to lack of evidence and 29 others, including prime accused Dawood Ibrahim, Tiger Memon and Mohammed Dossa, were shown as absconding.

Of the remaining 140 accused, 11 died during the trial while two others, Abu Asim Azmi and Amjad Mehr Baksh were discharged by Supreme Court. Another accused, Riaz Khatri jumped bail on September 23, 1996, and is absconding.

The trial of three more accused, Abu Salem, Riaz Siddiqui and Mustaffa Dossa has been separated leaving 123 accused to face the trial in the main case, according to special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam. 

A series of explosions rocked 13 places in Mumbai on March 12, 1993, and property worth Rs 27 crores was destroyed in the blasts.

The blasts were masterminded by underworld don Dawood Ibrahim with the help of his lieutenants Tiger Memon and Mohammed Dossa, allegedly at the instance of Pakistan's intelligence agency, Inter Security Intelligence, to avenge the demolition of disputed Babri Masjid, the CBI has said in the chargesheet.

According to CBI, the perpetrators of the serial blasts intended to shatter the country's economy, as was indicative from the selection of blasts sites namely Bombay Stock Exchange, Air-India building, hotel Sea Rock, hotel Centaur Juhu, hotel Centaur Airport, and in busy areas of Zaveri Bazaar, Katha Bazaar and Century Bazaar.

A petrol pump near the Shiv Sena Bhavan and Plaza theatre were also targeted as blasts killed many people.

As part of the conspiracy, hand grenades were hurled at a Hindu colony in Mahim, triggering riots in Mumbai in which several motor vehicles, shops and houses were damaged.

Hand grenades were also hurled at the airport, but no damage was caused, while RDX-stuffed scooters that had failed to explode were seized from Naigaon and Dhanji Street.

The explosions occurred between 1:30 pm to 3:40 pm on a Friday sending shockwaves among the people across the country.

The arms and ammunition used in the blasts arrived by a ship from Pakistan at Shekadi and Dighi coasts in Raigad district during January-February 1993.

Dawood, Memon and Dossa are absconding accused in the list of 29. While Dawood was already abroad when the blasts occurred, Memon and Dosa fled a day before.

The conspiracy meetings were held in Mumbai, Dubai and Panvel in Raigad district. 25 accused were sent to Pakistan via Dubai for arms training and learning skills to make bombs, CBI has said.

Some accused were asked to arrange landing of arms and ammunition at Raigad coast, while others were given the job of distributing the weapons and explosives to co-accused, CBI said.

The first witness to step into the box was accused-turned approver Mohammed Khatlab who disclosed the conspiracy saying he was lured by accused Farooq Motorwala to attend a meeting in Dubai called by Tiger Memon.

He visited Dubai and also went to Pakistan, but returned without taking arms training on the pretext of ill-health.

The second witness was also an approver, Mohammed Usman Jan Khan and he had said he was involved in every stage of the conspiracy -- attending meetings, participating in arms training and bomb-making in Pakistan, stuffing RDX in cars and scooters and parking the vehicles in targeted places. 

Khan identified 33 accused in the court as the members of Tiger Memon team who had helped in executing the blasts.

A day before the blasts RDX was stuffed in the boots of cars and scooters in the garages of Al-Husseini building where Tiger Memon and his family own four flats.

Among the accused were customs officers, including S N Thapa, who were arrested and dismissed from service on the charge of helping Tiger Memon in getting away with explosives despite an intelligence alert in this regard.

Others were police officers who had allowed the consignment to pass in vehicles although they took the defence that they contained silver bricks and not RDX.

Actor Sanjay Dutt also found himself in the dock with the allegation that he had accepted an AK-56 rifle from Abu Salem, Baba Musa Chavan, Samir Hingora and Hanif Kadawala.

With PTI inputs





Share your comments


 What do you think about the story?




Read what others have to say:


Number of User Comments: 10




Sub: THIS IS HAPPEN ALL KNOWS...........

This is happend we all knows because it is India and the law is also applicable to India and the justice and lawyer also all ...


Posted by PRIYARANJAN PRADHAN





Sub: Blasts Verdict

The fact of the matter is nothing is really going to happen-people like Sanjay Dutt are going to be scot free because of the corruption ...


Posted by kaafiristani





Sub: no one will be punished!!!

well well well!! here we go guys..this corrupt govt and the corrupt lawyers have done it again.no ones going be punished , nothings going to ...


Posted by kunaal





Sub: Is 13 yrs trial not enough!

13 LONG YRS! ALOT OF TERRORIST ACTIVITIES DURING THIS PERIOD. WHY WE ARE GIVING MESSEGE AS WE ARE SOFTEST STATE TO HANDLE. EVEN SUCH CASE ...


Posted by ajay





Sub: Blasts verdict put off to 12/9

Nothing surprising in this as it ws very much expected. These kind of cases were never expedited in India nor will be. This is the ...


Posted by suresh




Disclaimer

Advertisement






Copyright © 2006 Rediff.com India Limited. All Rights Reserved.