|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Govt cancels PG medical entrance
April 03, 2006 23:47 IST
Government has decided to cancel the All India Post Graduate Medical Entrance Examination - 2006 and sought the Supreme Court's permission to hold a fresh exam in the wake of alleged use of unfair means.
Health Ministry officials said it was decided to cancel the entrance examination held last year as "CBI investigations prima facie established a high-tech fraud."
They said the examination would be conducted afresh and an order in this regard is likely to be signed on Tuesday by Health Minister Anbumani Ramadoss. In view of this, the Centre sought permission to announce a fresh timetable for the AIPGMEE before an apex court bench comprising Justice K G Balakrishnan and Justice P P Naolekar, which accepted its plea to grant time till April 13 to CBI to complete the investigation into the matter.
Observing that it was not fully satisfied by the material placed before it for cancellation of the examination, the bench directed the Central Bureau of Investigation to conduct a thorough probe covering all the centres where examinations were held as the present probe report about Chennai and Delhi was not sufficient to take a decision.The bench will consider the report on April 13. The court was hearing a petition filed by 12 successful candidates of the AIPGMEE conducted by AIIMS seeking direction to the government not to cancel the results.