Bombay high court on Monday rejected the plea of Bollywood actor Salman Khan for an in-camera trial in the hit and run case in which he is accused of killing one and injuring four, three years ago.
Salman had initially pleaded for holding the entire trial in-camera, but later changed his plea to in-camera deposition of only the main witness, constable Ravindra Patil.
The court, however, stayed its order for five weeks to enable Salman file an appeal in the Supreme Court.
His lawyer, Dipesh Mehta told PTI that he will file an appeal in within the stipulated time period.
The deposition of police constable Ravindra Patil, the then bodyguard of Salman, is considered significant because Patil had accompanied Salman when the actor rammed his car into a bakery in suburban Bandra on September 28, 2002, killing one and injuring four, who were sleeping on the pavement outside the bakery.
Patil had earlier given a statement to the police that he had warned Salman not to drive so rashly or else he would meet with an accident, but the actor did not heed his advice.
Meanwhile, the trial in the case, slated to begin on September 22, will now proceed with other witnesses, except Patil, Salman's lawyer Mehta said.
The court has already given a permanent exemption to Salman from appearance in this case.