|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Bofors case: 'All is not lost'
Onkar Singh in New Delhi | September 17, 2005 13:21 IST
Joginder Singh, former director of Central Bureau of Investigations, said that all is not lost in the controversial Bofors case and the government of India should move the Supreme Court against the order of the Delhi High Court, passed by Justice Rupinder Singh Sodhi.
Speaking to rediff.com, Singh said that there is nothing sacrosanct about the three month period for filing an appeal in a case like this, which had been the focus of anti-corruption in defence purchases. " The Supreme Court of India can condone the delay and accept the appeal by the government. It is now up to the law department to decide what to do in the Bofors case," he said.
The man who travelled to Switzerland to receive the controversial documents against the key accused persons, namely Win Chanda, the Hinduja brothers and former defence secretary S K Bhatnagar, said that he has no personal interest in the matter.
"I cannot take everything to my heart because a particular thing did not happen according to my wishes. I have had my tenure and now it is upto the present director of the agency to take a decision," he said.
He hoped that someone would move the apex court against the order of the Delhi High Court. "Twice earlier, the Bofors case had been almost killed. First, in 1992, when the FIR was quashed. Then again, in 2002, when the Hinduja brothers were given a long rope and now, in 2005, when the judge says that there are no original papers," he said.
Incidentally, in the last two cases, the judgement was delivered by the same judge of the Delhi High Court.